Reading Specialist Curriculum Summary
Reading Specialist (36 hours)
Professional Education Core
- EDUC 510 Models of Curriculum and Instruction 3 hrs.
- EDUC 520 Educational Research 3 hrs.
- EDUC 530 Integrating Technology in the Teaching/Learning Process 3 hrs.
- EDUC 540 Assessment & Evaluation in Education 3 hrs.
- RDNG 560 Action Research in Reading Education* 3 hrs.
Reading Specialist (Pre K - Adult)
- RDNG 510 Foundations of Reading 3 hrs.
- RDNG 520 Reading & Writing in Content Areas 3 hrs.
- RDNG 525 Literacy Research and Instruction for Culturally Diverse Students 3 hrs.
- RDNG 530 Reading Assessment 3 hrs.
- RDNG 550 Reading and Language Arts Instruction for the 21st Century 3 hrs.
- RDNG 570 Reading Practicum 6 hrs.
*Note: RDNG 560 is required for students seeking certification as a Reading Specialist and is the equivalent of EDUC 560, which is a professional education core requirement. Students must have completed a minimum of 24-hours of coursework including EDUC 520 prior to taking RDNG 560.
All candidates seeking an endorsement from WV BOE as a Reading Specialist are required to pass PRAXIS II: Reading Specialist subject assessment test. For more information regarding specific courses, please refer to the Academic Catalog.
Reading Specialist Progression Sheet
Reading Specialist Two Year Plan