Certificate in Special Education Curriculum and Instruction/Pedagogy (24 hrs.)
- SPED 503: Legal and Historical Foundations of Special Education 3 hrs.
- SPED 505: Assessment of Individuals with Disabilities 3 hrs.
- SPED 510: Reading Methods for Individuals with Special Learning Needs 3hrs.
- SPED 512: Reading Strategies for the Inclusive Content Classroom (Prerequisites: SPED 510) 3 hrs.
- SPED 518: Positive Behavior Support 3 hrs.
- SPED 525: Strategies for the Inclusive Mathematics Classroom 3 hrs.
- SPED 555: Advanced Methods/Strategies for Special Education (Prerequisites: SPED 503 and SPED 505) 3 hrs.
- SPED 560: Action Research in Education (Prerequisites: EDUC 520 and completion of special education content (21 hours)) 3hrs.
All candidates seeking an endorsement from the WV BOE in Special Education (multi categorical) are required to pass the PRAXIS II: Multi-Categorical Special Education (BD excluding Autism, MI, SLD) Candidates who already hold a master’s degree from an accredited institution and teacher certification/licensure may pursue a content specialization in multi categorical education by completing the 24 hours of pedagogy. For more information about courses please review the Academic Catalog.
All candidates seeking an endorsement from the WV BOE in Special Education (multi categorical) must hold, qualify for or simultaneously complete a content specialization in biology, chemistry, early childhood, elementary education, English, general science, mathematics, physics, and/or social studies as recognized on a Professional Teaching Certificate. If an individual does not hold any of the endorsements previously identified, they must complete a restricted content endorsement offered through the WVDE in biology, chemistry, early childhood, elementary education, English, general science, mathematics, physics, and/or social studies in conjunction with the Special Education Program. See West Virginia Policy 5100 10.3.d.