at the Erma Byrd Higher Education Center
"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..." 20 U.S.C. § 1681
Compliance with Title IX is everyones' responsibility.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. § 1681) is an all-encompassing federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs and activities that receive free federal financial assistance. If only one of an educational institution's program or activities receives federal funding, all of the programs within the institution must comply with Title IX and its implementing regulations. Consistent with this obligation, the Erma Byrd Higher Education Center's partnering institutions (Bluefield State College, Concord University and Marshall University) prohibits discrimination and harassment on the basis of sex in academics, employment, and all of their programs and activities.
The United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces Title IX. Information regarding OCR can be found here. The penalty for failure to comply with Title IX, in the most extreme circumstances, may include the termination of all or part of an institution's federal funding. This includes grants, subsidies, and other program funds from the federal government. In addition to the loss of federal funds, universities may be sued by those seeking redress for violations of Title IX. It is essential that institutions receiving federal financial assistance operate in a nondiscriminatory manner.
- Office for Civil Rights
- Title IX Info
- The United States Department of Justice Title IX Overview
- Title IX Information at Partnering Institutions:
|Report Incidents To:||College/University||Email Address||Phone Number|
Dr. Guy Sims, Assistant to the President for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Title IX Coordinator
|Bluefield State College||OEID@bluefieldstate.edu||(304) 327-4478|
|Dr. Marjie Flanigan, Vice-President of Student Affairs and Title IX Coordinator/Investigator||Concord Universityemail@example.com||(304) 384-6035|
|Daniel "Dan" Fitzpatrick, Director of Human Resources||Concord Universityfirstname.lastname@example.org||(304) 384-5276|
|Tracy McCallister, Senior Women's Administrator, Athletics||Concord Universityemail@example.com||(304) 384-5954|
|Debra Hart, Director, Office of Equity and Title IX Coordinator||Marshall University||(304) 696-2597|
- To immediately report incidents occurring at the Erma Byrd Higher Education Center, please ask for the Director Lisa Moten or Center Security. If you need to access the Incident Report form, please click here.
- Erma Byrd Higher Education Residential Partner Student Handbooks/Codes of Conduct:
- Partnering Institutional Resources:
- Bluefield State College Board of Governors Policy No. 3, Sexual Harassment
- Concord University Board of Governors Policy No. 37, Nondiscrimination, Sexual Misconduct, and Other Forms of Harassment Policy
- Concord University's Sexual Assault and Response Team (S.A.R.T.)
- Marshall University Board of Governors Policy No. GA-1, Sexual Harassment Policy
- Marshall University's Sexual Assault and Response Team (S.A.R.T.)
- Additional Resources:
- For information on filing a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), click here.
- Dear Colleague Letter
- Office of Civil Rights (OCR)
- What is the definition of "Consent?" The Tea Video provides a really good explanation of what is considered to be consent; and, what is not considered to be consent.
- Beckley, WV, Local Resources:
- Women's Resource Center (Beckley, WV)
- Hotline: 304-255-2559
- WV State Resources: