You are here:  Home

Translate page:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is an international student?
International students are students who do not have permanent residency or citizenship in the United States. Most international students enter the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa. However some students will have other visa types. Some visas have different restrictions on whether or not you can study or if you are allowed to work. Check with one of our school officials if you are unsure of your visa’s restrictions on study. [BACK TO TOP]

Is there an application fee?
Concord University does not charge students to complete an application. We would like to encourage you to apply now free of charge. Just click Apply Now!

Can I submit faxed, scanned or photocopied documents?
We require original documents for all transcripts, test scores and financial statements. If these documents are sent as photocopies, facsimiles or scanned documents they will not be accepted. To save time you should mail us these documents in original format, there will be no exceptions. [BACK TO TOP]

Do I need to take the SAT or ACT to gain admission?
The SAT or ACT are not required for international students. However, for native English speakers we require them for scholarship purposes. Please have the SAT or ACT send us your test scores directly. [BACK TO TOP]

How long are the TOEFL and IELTS scores valid?
The TOEFL or IELTS scores are valid for 2 years. If a score is older than 2 years we will not accept it towards your admission decision. [BACK TO TOP]

Does Concord University offer scholarships for international students?
We offer qualified international applicants scholarships. We base our scholarship decisions on student’s grades and test scores. For native English speakers we require all transcripts at the secondary and university level and recent SAT and ACT scores. For non-native English speakers we require all transcripts at the secondary and university level and recent TOEFL or IELTS scores. [BACK TO TOP]

Does Concord offer a conditional admission?
Yes, we do offer students a conditional admission for students that could use additional support in the English language. At Concord any student who does not have a TOEFL or IELTS score and is not a native English speaker may be offered admission to an academic program with the condition that they begin in our school’s ESL program. [BACK TO TOP]

Can I apply for ESL only?
If you are interested in applying only for our ESL program and do not wish to complete any degree seeking courses then you can apply to study ESL. In order to qualify you must submit all secondary and postsecondary transcripts for review. Students who are not international students can apply for our program without transcripts. [BACK TO TOP]

What is a freshman?
A freshman is a student who has not taken any university level credit. You are not a freshman if you have taken any AP or IB level credits. Freshmen are also referred to as first year students. [BACK TO TOP]

What is a transfer?
A transfer student is someone who has taken university credit. If you have taken any postsecondary school credit then you must provide your transcripts from all institutions. If you do not provide all transcripts then you may be met with a denial decision during the admission process or expulsion from the University after you arrive. In order to gauge your ability to study at Concord we need accurate and original records from all postsecondary institutions you have attended. [BACK TO TOP]

Do I need to submit my university transcripts to an evaluation company?
If you are transferring from a university from outside of the United States then you are required to submit your transcripts to an evaluation company like ECE or WES.[BACK TO TOP]

What is an I-20 and how do I get one?
A form I-20 is a government document issued by a school official that provides you access to a visa interview. In order to obtain an I-20 you must be awarded admission and prove to the school official that you can pay for a full year of tuition and living expenses. If the school awards you scholarships or aid you can subtract that amount from the total that is needed. Choose this link to learn more.  [BACK TO TOP]

How can I prepare for the visa interview?
The visa interview can be a challenging hurdle. The key is to prove to the visa officer you have no intent to stay in the United States permanently. If you lie or provide false information the visa officer will find out and deny your visa request. Always tell the truth and prepare answers to reasons why you want to study in the United States and why you chose Concord. For additional information see our Visa Interview page. [BACK TO TOP]

Do I need to pay a deposit?
Concord University only requires a deposit for housing. For information on the housing deposit see the Student Life website [BACK TO TOP]

How will I know whether or not I have been awarded admission?
A University representative will contact you via email and notify you of the admission decision. [BACK TO TOP]

Who should I contact concerning admission questions?
For all admission inquiries contact Sarah Wambe, Director, International Admissions at or at +1-304-384-6294. She will be able to answer all admission and visa preparation questions. [BACK TO TOP]

Can I defer my offer of admission?
You can defer your admission up to one semester but you will be required to submit any additional transcripts and a new financial statement to obtain a new form I-20. [BACK TO TOP]

Last updated on Sep 3, 2015. Originally created on Dec 23, 2011. Report incorrect information.