Concord College to Celebrate Commencement, Saturday, May 15
Athens, W. Va. - Concord College will be hosting the 129th annual spring commencement, 10 a.m., Saturday, May 15, 2004, in the Main Gymnasium of the Leslie R. and Ruby Webb Carter Center in Athens.
The College has six valedictorians (all W. Va. residents): Michelle Lynn Anderson, Oak Hill; Derrick Shawnn Browning, Pineville; Stephen Jason Fraley, New Haven; Lori Leigh Gunno, St. Albans; Monika Beth McMahan, Daniels; and Angela Dawn Young, White Oak.
Ceremonies this spring will include 72 honors candidates. Honors students have attained a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 and above.
Persons with disabilities should contact Rick Dillon, 1-304-384-5231, as soon as possible, if special assistance or help is required for access to the Commencement ceremony.
For more information call 1-304-384-5211 / 5288.
Academic costume, consisting of a gown, a hood, and a cap, date from the Middle Ages and may be worn on occasion by anyone holding a degree.
Holders of a postbaccalaureate degree wear a gown which differs in design and ornamentation, particularly in the sleeves. Hoods symbolizing the master’s and doctor’s degrees include in their lining the official colors of the institution from which the degree was received. The color of the velvet on these hoods indicates the field of study, some of which are listed here: white—arts, letters, humanities; drab—commerce, accounting, business; copper—economics; light blue—education; brown—fine arts; crimson—journalism; purple—law; lemon—library science; green—medicine; pink—music; silver gray—oratory (speech); dark blue—philosophy; sage green—physical education; golden yellow—science; cream—social science; citron—social work.
A BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
Concord College was chartered by the State Legislature on February 28, 1872, as a branch of the “State Normal School,” to offer the “normal” teaching certificate to those preparing to instruct in area schools. The College opened its doors to its first 70 students at the site of Athens School on State Street. The present campus grew from a 26-acre farm plot purchased from the Vermillion family after fire devastated the midtown location in November 1910. Reflecting continued expansion, the name of our institution changed from Concord State Normal School to Concord State Teacher’s College in 1931, and, finally, to Concord College in 1943.
The following description of the College’s environment was printed over one hundred years ago, in the 1899 Catalog: “The air, the water, and the scenic beauties of the place conspire in producing the health and strength which should distinguish the West Virginian. And these good influences are aided by the absence of all temptations to vice. No school can be more free from all those influences which tend to degrade either the moral or physical well-being of the young.”
Concord’s continuing mission is to provide quality, liberal arts based education, to foster scholarly activities, and to serve the regional community.