Historical Marker at Concord Now Up-To-Date
Athens, W.Va. – The old “Concord College” historical marker, dated 1965, was replaced today with an updated marker that references the institution’s 2004 name change to Concord University. The marker is cast from aluminum and includes the West Virginia State Seal.
Curtis Whitlow and Ray Spencer from the Department of Highways District 10 Sign Shop in Mercer County installed the new marker. The old one will be on permanent display in the J. Frank Marsh Library.
The Highway Historical Marker Program was implemented in 1937 during the Great Depression to encourage tourism. The West Virginia Commission on Historic and Scenic Markers worked with the State Road Commission, Works Progress Administration and Federal Emergency Relief Administration to place 440 markers during the first year alone. After World War II, markers were placed at the sites of most state-run facilities and schools. The West Virginia Historic Commission took over the program in 1963. Since the late 1960s, the program has been managed by the West Virginia State Archives, which is today part of the West Virginia Division of Culture & History (www.wvculture.org). Approximately 1,000 markers have been placed in West Virginia.
PHOTO: Ray Spencer and Curtis Whitlow from the Department of Highways District 10 Sign Shop in Mercer County installed the new marker. The old one will be on permanent display in the J. Frank Marsh Library.