You are here:  HomeVeteransApply For MGIB Benefits

Veterans Staff

Lisa Spencer
Veterans Coordinator and Veterans Certifying Official

Teresa Frey
Academic Advisor for Veteran Students

Phone: 1-888-384-VETS

Fax:  1-304-384-3084


Veterans' Lounge
Rahall 246

Concord University
Campus Box D-120
PO Box 1000
Athens, WV 24712-1000

if you have not applied for your MGIB Benefits

Active Duty and Reserve Benefits (Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607, Post 9/11 GI Bill.)
Instructions how to apply:

  • Complete the application for VA Education Benefits at:
  • Complete and submit the Veterans Coordinator Card located at to the Concord University Veterans Certifying Official (please include email, address and telephone number)
  • Mail or bring a copy of your DD214 to Lisa Spencer, Concord University’s VA Certifying Official
  • At the end of every month you will need to contact the VA to Certify your enrollment. You may contact them two ways: Call 1-877-823-2378 or log on:

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

Complete the application for VA Education Benefits at:

When you have been approved the Veterans Administration will send a “Certificate of Eligibility”. You need to submit this certificate to Lisa Spencer, VA Certify Official, Concord University, PO BOX 1000-D-120, Athens, WV 24712-1000. Fax: 304-384-3084.

Complete and submit the Veterans Coordinator Card bring or mail to : Lisa Spencer- Concord University PO BOX 1000, D 120, Athens, WV 24712-1000

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

Veteran must submit application with a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor VA Regional Office, 640 4th Ave., Huntington, WV 25701 –

Darla Walden, 304-255-2121 Ext. 4770 email:

When application is determined the VA will send Concord University and Authorization and Certification of Entrance in Rehabilitation and Certification Status.

The Student needs to complete and submit a Veterans Coordinator card log on to: and return to Lisa Spencer, VA Coordinator – Concord University.

If you have used your GI Bill at another institution and are changing majors or institutions (Chapter 30, 1606, 33 and 1607)

  • Complete form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training 22-1995.
  • Complete the Veterans Coordinator Card at: submit both forms to Lisa Spencer, VA Coordinator, Concord University, PO BOX 1000-D-120, Athens, WV 24712-1000.

How to Apply for Reserve or National Guard Tuition Assistance

  • (WV National Guard)
    • Requests needs to be submitted at least 30 days prior to the start of each semester.  Grades need to be submitted after you complete each semester to Kathy Kidd, 1703 Coonskin Drive, Charleston, WV 25311
  • (Army Reserves)
    • Requests need to be submitted 2 to 3 weeks before each semester
    • Paper forms also need to be submitted
    • Grades need to be submitted after each semester

How to Apply for Troops to Teachers

Last updated on Mar 12, 2014. Originally created on Nov 2, 2011. Report incorrect information.