You are here:  HomeVeteransBenefits

Veterans Staff

Lisa Spencer
Veterans Coordinator and Veterans Certifying Official

Teresa Frey
Academic Advisor for Veteran Students

Phone: 1-888-384-VETS

Fax:  1-304-384-3084


Veterans' Lounge
Rahall 246

Concord University
Campus Box D-120
PO Box 1000
Athens, WV 24712-1000

Post 9/11 GI Bill: The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. Apply at

Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 30: (active duty or non active duty) must have served in the United States Armed Forces for period of two to four years and have been HONORABLY discharged prior to returning to school.

Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 1606: (selected reserve) must have you completed Basic Training and AIT and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or West Virginia National Guard Unit. Please submit copy of DD214 and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility). The NOBE is available from your assigned unit.

Montgomery GI Bill Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency(Contingency Operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists, who are activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31: (disabled Veterans) must make application with case worker and have disability rated. Veterans Certifying Official will receive Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-Entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program/Chapter 35: (for dependents and spouses of 100 % disabled or deceased Veterans) must complete Form 22-5490 and submit to Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a claim is established a Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to the dependent/spouse. The student should then make an appointment to see the Veterans Certifying Official.

Work-Study Program
All students eligible for Chapter 30, 31, 35 and 1606 benefits are eligible to apply for VA Work Study.
Required forms can be found at:

Created on Nov 2, 2011. Report incorrect information.