Mathematics courses are designed to help students achieve the following cognitive goals, as adapted with modification from the MAA CUPM Overview of Majors in the Mathematical Sciences:
1. Approach mathematical problems with curiosity, creativity, and perseverance.
2. Use and compare analytical, visual, and numerical perspectives in exploring mathematics.
3. Effectively use technology to solve problems and explore mathematical ideas.
4. Learn to link applications and theory.
5. Create, explore, test, and modify examples, models, and conjectures.
6. Identify essential features of a complex situation and abstract general principles from particular instances.
7. Recognize and construct mathematically rigorous arguments.
8. Communicate mathematical ideas clearly, coherently, and precisely.
9. Develop mathematical independence and experience open-ended inquiry.