Effective January 1, 2019 West Virginia Department of Education Policy 5100 now requires mentor teachers (cooperating educators) of methods block students, and student teachers to meet the following requirements:
- hold a valid West Virginia five year teaching credential in the content area of the candidate placed in his/her classroom with a minimum of five years of teaching experience;
- hold “Accomplished” or higher as a summative performance rating on the West Virginia Educator Evaluation during the last two years of employment; AND
- have successfully completed a WVBE-approved mentor/induction coaching course, at no cost to the teacher, OR hold or be eligible for the Master Mentor Advanced Credential OR hold certification through the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS).
The Policy 5100 Training Module will take no more than one hour to go through the online training (a series of 47 PowerPoint slides and short video clips), and to complete the quiz at the end of the training. The questions on the quiz are straightforward and in many cases can be answered by having had previous experience as a mentor teacher.
At the conclusion of the 6 modules there will be a quiz that you are to complete. Please note that the quiz cannot be submitted from an iPad, tablet or mobile device.
You must score a 100% to pass the quiz. You may take each quiz multiple times until you receive a grade of 100%. If you miss a question, that question will be identified along with you choice. Several of the questions are true/false, which means that you simply choose the other answer. The 18 questions repeat each time. If necessary, review the modules to help you select the right answer. You may also open other browsers while taking the quiz if necessary. Please note: If you retake the Quiz, Questions 1-18 will remain in the order but the answer selections for Questions 1-18 will shuffle.
If you cannot complete the training and quiz at one setting you can go back at another time and finish your work.
Policy 5100 Training Module
To register for the training, please follow these directions:
- Welcome to the Policy 5100 training: This Training Module includes 6 Modules:
- Module 1 - Roles and Responsibilities
- Module 2 - Working With Adult Learners
- Module 3 - Ethical Behavior
- Module 4 - Framework for Teaching
- Module 5 - Teacher Performance Assessment (TPA)
- Module 6 - Co-Teaching
*If you receive an Authentication Error after entering your login and password, then contact Donna Landin at email@example.com
- Go to WVLearns at http://wvlearns.k12.wv.us
- Your WVLearns login is the username associated with your k12.wv.us email account—or—your Office 365 account—or—your WebTop account (these should all be the same login)
- Your WVLearns password is the password associated with your k12.wv.us email account—or—your Office 365 account—or—your WebTop account (these should all be the same password)
- After your login and password have been accepted*, then go to and select “self-Registration” in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Locate and select the following, Policy 5100 Training Module.
- Complete the registration screens. It is not required that you enter your WVEIS number.
- You may begin the Policy 5100 Training Module.
Again, Concord in no way wants to add to the responsibilities of classroom teachers, but we feel strongly that the presence of a student teacher should only enhance the classroom learning environment. We are requesting that mentor teachers consider how the benefits of having a well-prepared student teacher in the classroom outweigh the addition of the online training requirement. We hope that the teachers who have mentored and guided our beginning educators for years will know how vital the student teaching experience is in order to provide for the many teaching vacancies throughout our area, and will continue to serve in that role. This service is greatly appreciated by Concord University.