Students who plan to pursue their graduate degree in social work, Master of Social Work (MSW), may complete both their BSW and MSW program in five (5) years by applying to the 5 year plan. Under the 5 year plan, students apply for admission to the MSW program when they apply for admission to the BSW program. Thus, positioning the student for completion of both the BSW and MSW in five years. Letters of reference submitted for admission to the BSW program will also be used for admission to the MSW program. Hence, letters of reference are submitted only once for students under the 5 Year plan. Similarly, the graduate application fee is waived for students under the 5 year plan. GPA and ethical standards must be maintained throughout the first four years of the program for admission to the MSW program under the 5 year plan.
BSW/MSW (5 Year) Application Requirements
- Complete and submit BSW Application
- Completed the following classes and have 2.0 in the courses listed below with a 2.5 GPA required in the two SOWK classes. (no grade less than "C" can be accepted for SOWK 161 and 229)
- English 101
- English 102
- Psychology 101
- Sociology 101
- SOWK 161
- SOWK 229
- Three letters of recommendation
- Two Academic (one can be from a social work faculty member)
- One Professional (Exclude letters from Friends, relatives, and class mates)
- Biographical Reflection
- Describe your basic belief system, career goals, and the things which have contributed to your decision to pursue a study in social work.
- What are your perceptions regarding a social issue?
- What is your perceptions of social and economic justice in rural settings?
- Why are you pursuing the MSW Degree?
- Complete the Letter of Intent/Acceptance for the MSW Program when you start BSW field.
Students following the 5 year plan can be admitted directly to the MSW program. During the Student's last semester in the BSW program, the student under the 5 year plan, submits the Notice to Continue to the MSW Program.