Working in conjunction with the Bureau of Human Resources and West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, the Concord University Social Work Department offers a limited number of Public IV-E Scholarships for both BSW and MSW students. This grant provides payment of tuition and fees, and a $1000.00 stipend support for each semester. Funds for summer study may be available. Awards will be based upon the merits of the candidate and are contingent upon continued grant support.
BSW Eligibility Requirements:
BSW Recipients are Required to:
- Must have and maintain at least a 2.5 Grade Point Average
- Will have completed at least 30 college semester credit hours
- Must have declared social work as your field of study
- Will have completed at least 6 semester hours of social work classes
MSW Eligibility Requirements:
- Pursue a full-time course of study leading to a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work at Concord University. In addition to the usual required social work courses, the student will complete SOWK 321 Working with Children and Adolescents and SOWK 326 Family Law. Social Work 4601 & 4602 (Field Instruction) must be completed within a Department of Health and Human Resources office.
- To provide the Department with a copy of his or her transcript within thirty (30) days of the end of each semester attended and to inform the Department of his or her academic progress. A minimum 2.5 grade point average must be maintained in order to continue eligibility for the program.
- Accept employment with the West Virginia Bureau of Human Services or the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources in those counties where the Bureau of Human Resources has need for staff.
MSW Recipients are Required to:
- Must be accepted into the Master of Social Work Program at Concord University
- Wants to pursue a career in child welfare at the Department of Health and Human Resources
- Preference will be given to applicants who are currently employed by the Department of Health and Human Resources
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA
- Complete Field Practicum at the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
- Accept or continue employment with the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources following graduation
Dr. Sarah Whittaker
Public IV-E Scholarship Coordinator
Marsh Hall, Room A212