The Concord University Alumni Association has long served graduates and friends of Concord. Beginning on a summer evening in 1881, a group of Concord graduates of then Concord Normal School, gathered to begin an association. The group gathered in order to “give mutual aid and encouragement to each other in coming years.” The group met each year thereafter during the week of Commencement. In the early years, graduates often presented orations, poems, and dramatic productions. A banquet, attended by hundreds of graduates and friends, was added to the celebration.
On November 23, 1951 the Concord College (University) Alumni Association became officially incorporated by the West Virginia Secretary of State. The articles of incorporation states that the intent of the organization is:
- To promote such activities among the alumni of Concord College (University) as will tend to keep fresh the pleasant memories of former associations, to perpetuate the cherished friendships formed in the schools, to give mutual aid and encouragement to each other in coming years, and to assist the growth and advancement of our Alma Mater, that a greater number each year may be benefited by having studied within her walls.
- To foster an ever higher moral, educational and ethical standard for the students of Concord College (University) and the members of this Association, through any proper means.
- To promote the continued growth of Concord College (University) by encouraging young people to enroll therein, and to sponsor scholarship and loan funds to the end that those in need may enroll.
- To aid in any way possible the growth and advancement of Concord College (University), or any activity carried on in the name of the school.
According to the certificate of corporation:
- This shall be a non-profit association having no stock. All persons who have been regularly enrolled in Concord College (University) for at least one semester shall be eligible for membership and those who have paid their annual dues for that year, entitled to vote at any meeting.
The incorporating committee included Roland P. Sharp, George W. Bryson, Fred V. Cooper, J. Woodrow Thomas, and Irvin S. Maddy.
In 1951, the Association was recognized as a non-profit organization. The governing body of the Association is known as the Executive Council. The council is comprised of a board of officers, up to 25 at-large positions, chapter representatives, and ex-officio positions.
The Association continues to promote Concord University, its graduates and students. We encourage and welcome your involvement.