Programs of Art
The programs of study offered in Art are based on the conviction that the artist is of essential value to his or her time and culture. Opportunities are provided to help the individual develop talents in an orderly and logical manner. Programs of study offered in Art are for students seeking careers as teachers, as advertising/graphic design professionals, as studio artists, and for those planning to attend graduate schools.
The Concord University Advertising/Graphic Design program focuses on preparing students for careers in the fields of web design, publishing, graphic art, illustration, package design, advertising design, printing technology, 35mm and digital photography, and creative/art direction for advertising. The Advertising/Graphic Design program is closely aligned with the Studio Art Program and is designed to fulfill the Mission and Goals of Concord University. Students develop creative and artistic skills while learning the latest in computer graphics and digital technology.
The program provides students with excellent facilities, advanced technology and is designed to develop graphic designers and advertising professionals with the ability to understand and appreciate the creative process. The program has an updated computer lab as well as faculty who are knowledgeable in both the fine arts and computer graphics. The program also prepares students to face the demanding world of advertising or the option to enter a graduate program. Graduates are equipped with the ability to analyze moral and ethical issues in both advertising and during the course of their lives.
The Advertising/Graphic Design Program offers students a unique opportunity to work with faculty that bring into the classroom years of professional advertising experience. Thanks to the faculty interactions with national, and international clients, students are frequently challenged by class projects that involve advertising design at a professional level. Classes have been carefully designed to involve the local community as part of our students’ education. Student instruction is delivered via lecture and special instructional field trips to commercial printers and businesses to facilitate their understanding of complex technical subjects. By visiting different local businesses of the printing and publishing industry, students are exposed to design projects that are in the production process. This approach of taking the classroom out into the actual advertising market places program graduates in an advantageous position when the time comes to enter the work force or graduate school.
The Studio Art program is designed to prepare students for careers as artists in the fields of ceramics, illustration, photography, painting, printmaking and sculpture, as well as ensuring students meet entry requirements for graduate schools, in these areas of concentration. The Studio Art program provides students the instruction, facilities, equipment, and opportunities necessary to develop their skills, abilities, and historical perspectives in their chosen area of artistic specialization.
The Studio Art program fosters the intellectual, professional, personal and social development of its students. The curriculum balances the teaching of technical knowledge and skills with the development of critical conceptual and creative abilities. Faculty members are recognized professional artists, with a diversity of viewpoints and educational training that encourages students to investigate and appreciate different forms of art expression.
Student Learning Outcomes
Advertising and Graphic Design
- Students will demonstrate a depth of knowledge of industry standard software and apply diverse methods of problem solving and inquiry to art making.
- Student will demonstrate the ability to critically analyze and improve their advertising/graphic design output.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate their knowledge of advertising/graphic design clearly and effectively.
- Students will demonstrate awareness of the multiple contexts in which advertising/graphic design can function.
- Students will demonstrate a depth of knowledge and apply diverse methods of problem solving and inquiry to art making.
- Student will demonstrate the ability to critically analyze and improve their artistic output
- Student will demonstrate their knowledge of art making clearly and effectively.
- Students will demonstrate awareness of the multiple contexts in which art can function.
Alignment with University Goals
- Knowledge/Mastery of Content
- Critical Thinking
- Personal, Civic, Cultural, and Global Competence