Students without a BSW are required to complete the Standard Generalist Curriculum and then the student may enter the Advanced Generalist Curriculum.
Students with a CSWE accredited BSW granted within the past seven years (with a 3.0 GPA in Social Work classes and a 2.75 overall GPA) may apply directly to the Advanced Year (Advanced Standing).
Sixty (60) semester credit hours are required for graduation from the generalist program and thirty six (36) semester credit hours are required for graduation from the advanced program. There are two start dates fall and spring. If entering in the Generalist Year, the Master of Social Work can be completed in two (2) calendar years of full-time study. A part-time schedule is available which can be completed within three (3) years or in a maximum of four (4) calendar years of structured part-time professional education. If entering in the Advanced Year, the Master of Social Work can be completed in one (1) calendar year of full-time study. A part-time schedule is available which can be completed within one-and-one-half (1 ½) years or in a maximum of three (three) calendar years of structured part-time professional education.
The Concord University MSW Program cannot grant social work course credit for any life experience and/or work experience.
Students transferring from another CSWE accredited MSW Program may request to have a maximum of six (6) credits from the generalist year transferred. In order to be considered, the course description must match the MSW courses offered at Concord University, and the courses must have been completed within the last two years previous to applying to Concord University’s MSW Program.
Transcripts and course descriptions will be reviewed by the faculty as to appropriateness on an individual basis. Only courses with a grade of a “B” or “A” are considered. Credits are generally not accepted for the advanced generalist year of course work, given the program’s specialization in rural practice.
Standard Generalist Curriculum (24 Credit Hours):
- SOWK 501 Intro to Generalist Practice (3)
- SOWK 511 Generalist of Human Behavior and Social Environment (3)
- SOWK 521 Generalist of Policy (3)
- SOWK 531 Generalist of Practice (3)
- SOWK 570 Generalist of Research (3)
- SOWK 560 Generalist Field Practicum (6)
- SOWK 620 Special Topics (3)
Advanced Generalist Curriculum (36 Credit Hours):
(To be completed by students in both the Standard Generalist Program and the Advanced Generalist Program)
- SOWK 613 Advanced Human Behavior and the Social Environment in Rural Settings (3)
- SOWK 622 Advanced Policy in Rural Practice (3)
- SOWK 633 Advanced Rural Practice with Individuals, Families, and Groups (3)
- SOWK 634 Advanced Rural Practice with Communities and Organizations (3)
- SOWK 670 Advanced Rural Research (3)
- SOWK 660 Advanced Field (A, B, and C) (9)
- SOWK 661 Appalachian Culture, Structures, and Environment (3)
- SOWK 620 Special Topics (9)