Development Specialist (Charleston, WV)
WV FREE and its sister organization, WV FREE Action Fund, seek a full-time Development Specialist to join the staff a fast-paced, friendly office in Charleston, WV to manage the organization’s comprehensive annual and long-term fundraising plans.
WV FREE and the WV FREE Action Fund operate cooperatively as non-profit organizations devoted to the protection and advancement of reproductive justice. To learn more about the current work of the WV FREE the WV FREE Action Fund, please visitwww.wvfree.org.
Position Overview: The Development Specialist is responsible for planning, managing, and executing the organization’s fundraising programs and leading the progression and expansion of the WV FREE’s fundraising strategies. The Development Specialist collaborates with the Deputy Director, the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to reach our annual and long-range goals.
- Annual Gifts Program: The Development Specialist will research, identify, cultivate, and solicit donors; coordinate donor solicitations, including major gifts, with the Deputy Director and Executive Director; prepare development materials including a development plan; and maintain confidential records on current donors.
- Other Funding Sources: The Development Specialist will develop and coordinate other funding sources, including strategic prospect research, scheduling, writing, grant preparation and reporting. Other funding sources include foundation and corporate grant programs.
- Donor Cultivation: S/he will develop, plan and organize all aspects of WV FREE’s cultivation activities throughout the year.
- Event Planning and Coordination: The Development Specialist will implement creative ideas and oversee fundraising events throughout the year such as the annual benefit gala in coordination with the Executive Assistant.
- Planned Giving: S/he will devise and implement strategies for marketing planned giving opportunities to WV FREE donors and members.
- Materials: The Development Specialist will work to develop messages, materials, and explanations of our work that are used in all of the development campaigns.
- High energy individual with strong interpersonal skills and high level of comfort working with donors, Board members, volunteers and staff.
- Capacity to ask for large sums of money.
- Demonstrated interest in, enthusiasm for, and commitment to the mission and principles of WV FREE.
- Excellent work strategy, administrative skills and ability to follow through on assignments with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Computer proficiency including working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and to manage and accommodate a work schedule that will include evening and weekend commitments.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to motivate others.
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly and effectively.
- Work experience that demonstrates strong interpersonal skills: prior sales or development experience a plus.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package included. Opportunity for advancement.
To Apply: Please e-mail a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Tisha Gay Reed, Deputy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or to PO Box 11042, Charleston, WV 25339. A grant writing exercise will be part of the application process. No questions, please. Applications accepted until position is filled.