Staff Environmental Scientist (Charleston, WV)
Staff Environmental Scientist
Company:Terracon Consultants, Inc.
Job Location(s):Charleston, WV
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree
Required Experience: 2 to 20+ years
Auto req ID4392BR
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in: Environmental, Facilities, Geotechnical, and Engineering Services. Over its history, Terracon has achieved significant expansion through both internal growth and acquisitions. Terracon currently has more than 3,000 employees in 140 offices and 39 states nationwide. Terracon's growth is due to dedicated employee owners who are responsive to clients, provide quality services, and take advantage of opportunities in the marketplace. By combining our national resources with specific local area expertise, we consistently overcome obstacles and deliver the results our clients expect.
As an apprentice level Environmental Scientist with Terracon you will conduct environmental research and collection, evaluate data, perform field inspections, and prepare reports. You will also conduct Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) and other environmental consulting tasks. Under general direction and limited to moderate supervision, follows prescribed procedures, evaluates, selects and applies standard procedures and criteria. Environmental Scientists at this level apply experience and increasing proficiency in the application of scientific principles, theories, practices and company standards. Consults with other technical professionals and supervisor on routine and moderately complex projects. Complex projects usually deferred to more senior professional level. Abides by technical procedures for carrying out daily work assignments. Some assignments involve application of computer software, including spreadsheets, CAD, as well as computer modeling.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Using prescribed methods, performs specific and limited portions of scientific assignments. May be in the office, lab or in the field.
- Assists in the collection and analysis of data from sampling, reports, maps, drawings, tests and aerial photographs to evaluation, plan and permit projects.
- Applies standard practices and techniques in specific situations, adjusts and correlates data, recognizes discrepancies in results and follow operations through a series of related detailed steps or processes.
- Conducts analyses of component portions of projects.
- Conducts water, soil and other sampling.
- Performs site visits, field observations and field data collection and/or field assignments.
- May have limited client contact pertaining to specific projects/tasks.
- Implements technical requirements to complete client projects by directing field staff to sample, test, and collect data and/or document on-site activities at various client sites.
- Outlines the required investigative program(s) by selecting the proper of various alternative techniques to conduct site study.
- Assists in compiling the scope of work for both routine and more complex lab or field investigations to measure and sample physical and non-physical properties of soil from a geotechnical, geological, or environmental standpoint or the analysis of construction materials.
Terracon offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.
We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.