Special Education Curriculum Summary
Special Education Content Specialization (36 hours)
Professional Education Core (required) (15 hrs.)
- EDUC 510 Models of Curriculum and Instruction 3 hrs.
- EDUC 520 Educational Research 3 hrs.
- EDUC 530 Integrating Technology in the Teaching/Learning Process 3 hrs.
- EDUC 540 Assessment & Evaluation in Education 3 hrs.
- SPED 560: Action Research in Education 3 hrs. (Prerequisite EDUC 520)
Special Education Curriculum and Instruction/Pedagogy (21 hrs.)
- SPED 503: Legal and Historical Foundations of Special Education 3 hrs.
- SPED 505: Assessment of Individuals with Disabilities 3 hrs.
- SPED 510: Reading Methods for Individuals with Special Learning Needs 3hrs.
- SPED 512: Reading Strategies for the Inclusive Content Classroom (Prerequisites: SPED 510) 3 hrs.
- SPED 518: Positive Behavior Support 3 hrs.
- SPED 525: Strategies for the Inclusive Mathematics Classroom 3 hrs.
- SPED 555: Advanced Methods/Strategies for Special Education (Prerequisites: SPED 503 and SPED 505) 3 hrs.
All candidates seeking an endorsement from the WV BOE in Special Education (multi categorical) are required to pass the PRAXIS II: Multi-Categorical Special Education (BD excluding Autism, MI, SLD) Candidates who already hold a master’s degree from an accredited institution and teacher certification/licensure may pursue a content specialization in multi categorical education by completing the 21 hours of pedagogy.
All candidates seeking an endorsement from the WV BOE in Special Education (multi categorical) must hold, qualify for or simultaneously complete a content specialization in biology, chemistry, early childhood, elementary education, English, general science, mathematics, physics, and/or social studies as recognized on a Professional Teaching Certificate. If an individual does not hold any of the endorsements previously identified, they must complete a restricted content endorsement offered through the WVDE in biology, chemistry, early childhood, elementary education, English, general science, mathematics, physics, and/or social studies in conjunction with the Special Education Program. See West Virginia Policy 5100 10.3.d.
Required Courses for an Endorsement in Autism (6 hrs.)
- SPED 515: Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder 3 hrs.
- SPED 516: Methods for Teaching Students with Autism (Prerequisite SPED 515) 3 hrs.
Clinical/practicum experiences will be aligned with West Virginia Policy 5202 and the West Virginia Professional Teaching Standards (WVPTS). Clinical/practicum experience assessments are aligned with the Specialty Program Assessments (SPA) as required by the National Council of Accreditation for Teacher Education (NCATE) standards. All appropriate clinical/practicum experiences must be successfully completed.
Special Education Multi-Categorical / Autism Progression Sheet
M. Ed. Special Education Policies and Procedures Handbook