Q: How do I apply for financial aid?

A: The first step is to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA form is available on the web at http://www.fafsa.gov. The application determines your eligibility for grants, loans, and work study. It must be completed EVERY YEAR. For maximum consideration, you must complete (with signatures) the FAFSA by March 1. The FAFSA for the upcoming academic year becomes available October 1.


If you plan to attend College From You will Submit this FAFSA You can submit this FAFSA From Using Income and Taxes From
7/1/18 thru 6/30/19 2018-19 10/1/17 thru 6/30/19 2016
7/1/19 thru 6/30/20 2019-20 10/1/18 thru 6/30/20 2017


Q: What year tax information is used on the FAFSA for 2019-20?

A: The FAFSA requires two years' prior tax information to be used -- 2017 tax information is used on the 2019-2020 FAFSA.

Q: My income has changed drastically in the last year. How can I reflect that on the FAFSA?

A: Do not change the tax information entered on your FAFSA; however, you may submit documentation to the Concord University Financial Aid Office, and a professional judgment can be performed (form can be found at: www.concord.edu/financialaid). Please keep in mind the following that may be considered for changing the EFC.

The following conditions may be considered:

Loss of Employment/Reduction of Income


Death of Parent/Spouse

Reduction/Loss of Child Support

Healthcare and Dental Expenses Out of Pocket, Paid in Full

One-time Income Used for Essential Items

The following conditions generally may not be considered:

Information on the FAFSA resulted in a 0 Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

Loss of overtime or bonus

Bankruptcy, foreclosures or collection costs associated with outstanding debts

Consumer debt (credit cards, car payments, loans, etc.)

Payments on back taxes owed to the IRS

Debt forgiveness that reflects as income on a tax return

Lottery or gambling winnings or losses

One-time income used for non-life essential items (e.g. family vacation)


Q:  Which parent fills out the FAFSA if my parents are divorced or separated?

A:  Click here to find out who counts as a parent on your FAFSA.