Inviting Your Parents/Relatives to the U.S.

When inviting your family to visit you in the United States, it is important to research which documents and procedures are necessary for your specific situation. The International Center only provides letters of invitation to family members for an undergraduate student’s commencement ceremony.

Please use this as a guide to help you as you invite your family to visit:

Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

* The VWP allows citizens of participating countries to travel to the United States without a visa for stays of 90 days or less, when they meet all requirements. Travelers must be eligible to use the VWP and have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel.

* For a list of participating countries, visit

* US Visa Waiver Program

Visitor Visa

* Generally, family members who are citizens of countries that do not participate in the Visa Wavier Program (VWP) will enter on a B2 visa, a Visitor visa. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily.

* Visit this website to learn more about how to apply, required documentation, scheduling interviews, extending their stay, and other helpful information.