Concord University to Celebrate Commencement, Saturday, May 14

For Immediate Release: 
Apr 10 2005

Concord University to Celebrate Commencement, Saturday, May 14

Athens, W.Va. - Concord University will be hosting the 130th annual spring commencement, 10 a.m., Saturday, May 14, 2005, in the Main Gymnasium of the Leslie R. and Ruby Webb Carter Center in Athens.

The University has three valedictorians (all W.Va. residents): Deanna Marie Acord Bailey, Oceana; Anna Marie Bradshaw, Princeton; and Heather Dawn Flanagan, Summersville. The registrar’s office reports that 268 students have submitted applications for graduation.

Ceremonies this spring will include 109 honors candidates. Honors students have attained a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 and above.

Persons with disabilities should contact Nancy Ellison, 1-304-384-6086 or 1-800-344-6679, extension 6086 if special assistance or help is required for access to the Commencement ceremony.

For more information, call 1-304-384-5211 / 5288.



Academic costume, consisting of a gown, a hood, and a cap, date from the Middle Ages and may be worn on occasion by anyone holding a degree.

Holders of a postbaccalaureate degree wear a gown, which differs in design and ornamentation, particularly in the sleeves. Hoods symbolizing the master’s and doctor’s degrees include in their lining the official colors of the institution from which the degree was received. The color of the velvet on these hoods indicates the field of study, some of which are listed here: white—arts, letters, humanities; drab—commerce, accounting, business; copper—economics; light blue—education; brown—fine arts; crimson—journalism; purple—law; lemon—library science; green—medicine; pink—music; silver gray—oratory (speech); dark blue—philosophy; sage green—physical education; golden yellow—science; cream—social science; citron—social work.


Concord University was chartered by the State Legislature on February 28, 1872, as a branch of the “State Normal School,” to offer the “normal” teaching certificate to those preparing to instruct in area schools. The University opened its doors to its first 70 students at the site of Athens School on State Street. The present campus grew from a 26-acre farm plot purchased from the Vermillion family after fire devastated the midtown location in November 1910. Reflecting continued expansion, the name of the institution changed from Concord State Normal School to Concord State Teacher’s College in 1931, to Concord College in 1943, and, finally, to Concord University on July 1, 2004.

The following description of the University’s environment was printed over one hundred years ago, in the 1899 Catalog: “The air, the water, and the scenic beauties of the place conspire in producing the health and strength which should distinguish the West Virginian. And these good influences are aided by the absence of all temptations to vice. No school can be more free from all those influences which tend to degrade either the moral or physical well-being of the young.”

Concord’s continuing mission is to provide quality, liberal arts based education, to foster scholarly activities, and to serve the regional community.

The University has an alumni base of more than 14,000.