Students without a BSW are required to complete the Standard Generalist Curriculum and then the student may enter the Advanced Generalist Curriculum.
Students with a CSWE accredited BSW (with a 3.0 GPA in Social Work classes and a 2.75 overall GPA) may apply directly to the Advanced Year (Advanced Standing).
Sixty (60) semester credit hours are required for graduation: 24 credit hours to be completed in the Generalist Curriculum and 36 credit hours to be completed in the Advanced Generalist Curriculum. The Generalist Year consists of fall, spring, and the first summer term. The Advanced Year consists of the fall, spring, first summer term and second summer term. Thus, if entering in the Generalist Year, the Master of Social Work can be completed in 2 calendar years of full-time study. A part-time schedule is available which can be completed within threes years or in a maximum of 4 calendar years of structured part-time professional education.
The Concord University MSW Program cannot grant social work course credit for any life experience and/or work experience.
Standard Generalist Curriculum (24 Credit Hours):
- SOWK 501 Intro to Generalist Practice (3)
- SOWK 511 Generalist of Human Behavior and Social Environment (3)
- SOWK 521 Generalist of Policy (3)
- SOWK 531 Generalist of Practice (3)
- SOWK 541 Generalist of Research (3)
- SOWK 551 Generalist Field Practicum (6)
- SOWK 660 Special Topics (3)
Advanced Generalist Curriculum (36 Credit Hours):
(To be completed by students in both the Standard Generalist Program and the Advanced Generalist Program)
- SOWK 613 Advanced Human Behavior and the Social Environment in Rural Settings (3)
- SOWK 622 Advanced Policy in Rural Practice (3)
- SOWK 633 Advanced Rural Practice with Individuals, Families, and Groups (3)
- SOWK 634 Advanced Rural Practice with Communities and Organizations (3)
- SOWK 642 Advanced Rural Research (3)
- SOWK 653 Advanced Field (A, B, and C) (9)
- SOWK 661 Appalachian Culture, Structures, and Environment (3)
- SOWK 660 Special Topics (9)