Title: Associate Professor
College: College of Professional and Liberal Studies
Department: Department of Education
Room: Marsh Hall 126
Anita S. Deck, Ed.D. is an Associate Professor in the Education Department at Concord University in Athens, WV. A former chemistry and physics teacher with 13 years of experience in public school, Dr. Deck earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Education from Concord University with certifications in general science, biology, chemistry, and physics. She also holds a Master of Science degree in Science Education from West Virginia University and is a graduate of the Integrative STEM Education doctoral program at Virginia Tech. Dr. Deck served as the Science Specialist for the Eisenhower Math and Science Appalachian Consortium, the STEM Specialist and WV Liaison for Appalachia Regional Comprehensive Center, and the Director of WV Parent Connections (Title I). In addition, Dr. Deck served as the Curriculum Specialist for the Virginia Initiative for Science Teaching and Achievement at Virginia Tech where she designed, developed and implemented professional development for elementary and secondary teachers, as well as mentored and supervised instructional coaches throughout the academic year. She is the former Director of Innovation, Assessment, and Research at the International Technology and Engineering Teachers Association’s Stem Center for Teaching and Learning. Dr. Deck is a member of Phi Kappa Phi, Kappa Delta Pi, and Golden Key International honor societies. Her research interests focus on enhancing science teaching in elementary teachers through technological and engineering design-based learning.
Doctorate of Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Major: Integrative STEM Education, Cognate: Instructional Design and Technology. July 2016. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA
Graduate Certificate, Curriculum and Instruction, Major: Integrative STEM Education, December 2010. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA
Master of Science, Secondary Education, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 2001
Bachelor of Science, Education, Content Specializations: General Science 5-12, Biology 9-12, Chemistry 9-12, Physics 9-12, Concord College, Athens, WV, 1989
Bachelor of Science, Biology, Concord College, Athens, WV, 1989
- The cognitive demands addressed through technological and engineering design-based teaching and learning
- Instructional strategies for design based biotechnology literacy
- Integrative pedagogical practices among STEM education areas
- Instructional design and technology
- Contemporary Research in Technology Education Vol. 3; Series: Contemporary Issues in Technology Education, Book Chapter: Enhancing Elementary Teacher Practice Through Technological/Engineering Design Based Learning (in press 2022)
- Clark, J., Deck, A., Hynes, M., Kolb, L., and Smith-Mutegi, D. (2021) Eliciting student thinking: Environmental Sciences, Mursion, AACTE/NSF Simulations for Secondary Science Teachers Conference.
- Barbato, S., Buelin, J., Deck, A., McLaren, P., Dooley, A., Neil, T., Paulson, D., Patrick, L., Honey, J., McFadden., A., & Kreamer, K., STEM4: The Power of Collaboration for Change. Advance CTE, ASSM, CSSS, and ITEEA, June 2019
- Deck, A., Mentzer, N., Lavender, H., Wellman, B., & Handy, D., Cradle to Cradle Design Thinking: The Life of a Trillion Plastic Bags, Technology and Engineering Teacher, March 2019.
- Deck, A., Eye Protection: How Do You Decide Between Safety Glasses and Safety Goggles? Technology and Engineering Teacher, November 2017
- Deck, A., Biotechnology: Fostering a Culture of Chemical Safety. Technology and Engineering Teacher, November 2016
- Deck, A., Enhancing Elementary Teacher Practice Through Technological/Engineering Design Based Learning (Doctoral dissertation). Virginia Tech, July 2016.
- Deck, A., & Grubbs, M., Landfills: Engineering Design for Waste Control. Technology and Engineering Teacher, February 2016
- Love, T., & Deck, A., The Ocean Platform Engineering Design Challenge: Flooded with STEM Content and Practices, Science Scope, November 2015
- Grubbs, M., & Deck, A., The Water Turbine: An Integrative STEM Education Context, Technology and Engineering Teacher, October 2015
- Deck, A., & Ross, J. R., Astronomy: Virtual Virginia (iTunes University),https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/astronomy/id795942897, Virginia Department of Education, January 2014