Federal Work Study FAQs

What is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally funded, need-based employment program. Eligible students may earn funds by working part-time with approved FWS employers. Students are offered FWS based on financial need, availability of FWS funds, and job availability.

Work study provides valuable experience to students both inside and outside of their field of study. Students are encouraged to work part-time while in school to not only gain work experience but to help contribute to the cost of their education and reduce their loan indebtedness.

Students cannot work more than 20 hours per week.

How do I become eligible for work study?

  • Your FAFSA must be received by Concord University;
  • Demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA; and
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid eligibility.

What do I do if I am offered work study?

How am I paid work study?

  • You will earn a paycheck bi-weekly according to hours worked in the work study position.
  • The rate of pay is at least minimum wage.
  • Work study does NOT pay directly to your semester bill.