Depending on a student’s financial need, their Federal Direct loan subsidized and unsubsidized could be a combination of both subsidized and unsubsidized.
Graduate and Professional Students
The Federal Stafford loan is a low-cost, fixed-rate federal student loan available to graduate and professional school students, not just undergraduate students. Federal Stafford loans are the most common – and among the lowest-cost – way to pay for graduate and professional school. As of July 1, 2012, only unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans are available to graduate students. Listed below are some benefits of the Federal Stafford Loan for Graduate and Professional Students:
- Low fixed interest rate (unsubsidized).
- Borrow up to $20,500 per year.
- No payments while enrolled in school.
- Acceptance not based on credit.
- Graduate Subsidized Limit (including all undergraduate loans) $65,500
- Graduate Combined Limit (including all undergraduate loans) $138,500