For many sponsored projects, travel is a necessary component for completing a project. When planning the travel for sponsored project there are a couple things you need to determine first:
- Is the travel allowable per the awarded budget? If not, you may have to work with the Office of Sponsored Programs to obtain prior approval from the agency and the institution.
- Does the travel happen within the project period?
- Is the sponsored project managed by Concord University or the Concord University Research and Development Corporation?
If the grant is awarded to the University, see below for instructions on how to calculate your travel reimbursement.
If the grant is awarded to the Research and Development Corporation, see below for instructions on how to calculate your travel reimbursement.
For clarification on which organization your grant is awarded through, refer to your “Award Notification to Principal Investigators” letter, or you may contact the Office of Sponsored Programs by phone at 304-384-5144 or by email at email@example.com.
In order to charge travel to your project, please fill out the Request for Disbursement Form along with a Travel Reimbursement Form.
Travel Reimbursement Forms should be completed within 30 days of returning based on the following rates:
- Mileage reimbursement rates: Click here for current rates.
- Per Diem Rates: Click here to look at current GSA rates.
- Select the state you are purchasing the meal
- If your city or county is not listed, refer to the standard rate
- Meals provided must be excluded from the per diem calculations
- If claiming less than the allowable per diem value, itemized receipts must be attached.
- State Per Diem Rates
- In-State – $35 per day
- Breakfast is a rate of $7 as long as departure is prior to 6 am
- Lunch is a rate of $7
- Dinner is a rate of $21 as long as return is after 6 pm
- Calculation Example – Depart time: 5 am, Return time: 5 pm, Lunch provided, $7 + $0 + $0 = $7 meal reimbursement
- Out-of-State – $50 per day
- Breakfast is a rate of $10 as long as departure is prior to 6 am
- Lunch is a rate of $10
- Dinner is a rate of $30 as long as return is after 6 pm
- Calculation Example – Day 2 of conference, Breakfast and Lunch provided, $0 + $0 + $30 = $30 meal reimbursement
- First and Last Day of Travel: The first and last day of travel is calculated at 75%
Any provided meals during travel are to be excluded from the per diem calculation.