HENRY WALLACE RECEIVES CONCORD UNIVERSITY VETERAN SCHOLARSHIP

CONTACT: 
Sarah M. Pritchett
Concord University
Office of Advancement
PO Box 1000, Athens, WV 24712
(304) 384-6312, news@concord.edu
www.concord.edu

After 4 p.m.
pitzer@concord.edu
Office: 304-384-5211
Cell: 304-320-6405

May 5, 2021

ATHENS, W.Va. – Concord University freshman Henry Wallace has been selected as the first recipient of the Gregory and Mary Aloia Veteran Scholarship.

Wallace is majoring in Business Administration with a Management emphasis. He is also a Specialist (E-4) in the Army Reserves, having served for more than three years through the Army Reserves Center based in Bluefield, W.Va. Henry’s hometown is North Spring, W.Va.

To receive the scholarship a student must be a veteran and be active in the Student Veterans Association. Additionally, the scholarship recipient is required to have a GPA of at least 2.5. Preference is given but not limited to a student veteran’s financial need. The scholarship award is $500. Dr. Gregory Aloia, who served as Concord’s President from 2008 to 2013, and his wife, Mrs. Mary Aloia, who was the University’s First Lady during this time, established the scholarship.

Wallace is currently Vice President of Concord’s Student Veterans Association and works in the University’s Office of Veteran Services under the VA Work-Study program. He is actively involved in Student Veterans Association projects such as maintaining the campus food pantry and painting Purple Heart parking spots at Concord’s Beckley campus. He is also the veteran representative for the Student Government Association.

Henry says he is “truly honored” to receive the scholarship. “For the past three years, the military has been a huge part of my life and I am very thankful to have the opportunity to serve and to receive this scholarship,” he explains. “The veteran community on campus is very welcoming and helpful and I am honored that my participation with the veterans club has resulted in an amazing scholarship opportunity.”

“Though the military has helped me financially in college, I still have taken many loans and with this scholarship I will be able to minimize the impact they will have after I graduate,” he says.

“Henry is a great asset to our veterans program and to Concord University,” stated Dr. George Williams, Concord Veterans Advocate.  “I’m pleased that he was selected for this scholarship, and I want to thank the Aloias for their generous contribution to this program.”

CU Veteran Scholarship Award Recipient Henry Wallace

Henry Wallace paints designated parking for
Purple Heart recipients at Concord’s Beckley campus.

-CU-
Persons with disabilities should contact Nancy Ellison, 1-304-384-6086 or 1-800-344-6679 extension 6086, if special assistance is required for access to an event scheduled by the University on campus.

Henry Wallace