Concord University header logo
Student Life MENU
Student Life > Veterans

Welcome to our Veterans page

Concord University is proud to welcome all Veterans.  We have big plans for the 2019-2020 academic year and will be updating this page as more information comes available.

Our Veterans Advocate is Dr. George Williams.

All enrolled Veterans please note our Veteran Benefits Certifying Official is Robin Rutherford.  

Join us in the Veterans Lounge located in the south end of the Rahall Technology Center, atrium, on the second floor.  All enrolled Veterans have access to the lounge.  Contact Ms. Rutherford or Dr. Williams for the combination to the door.  The lounge contains a library of textbooks, a kitchen with plenty of coffee and refreshments, restroom, three computers, wide-screen television, and comfortable furniture.

Apply for MGIB Benefits

if you have not applied for your MGIB Benefits

Active Duty and Reserve Benefits (Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607, Post 9/11 GI Bill.)
Instructions how to apply:

  • Complete the application for VA Education Benefits at:
  • Complete and submit the Veterans Coordinator Card located at to the Concord University Veterans Certifying Official (please include email, address and telephone number)
  • Mail or bring a copy of your DD214 to Robin Rutherford, Concord University’s VA Certifying Official
  • At the end of every month you will need to contact the VA to Certify your enrollment. You may contact them two ways: Call 1-877-823-2378 or log on:

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

Complete the application for VA Education Benefits at:

When you have been approved the Veterans Administration will send a “Certificate of Eligibility”. You need to submit this certificate to Robin Rutherford, VA Certify Official, Concord University, PO BOX 1000 D118, Athens, WV 24712-1000.

Complete and submit the Veterans Coordinator Card bring or mail to : Robin Rutherford- Concord University PO BOX 1000, D 118, Athens, WV 24712-1000

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

Veteran must submit application with a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor VA Regional Office, 640 4th Ave., Huntington, WV 25701 –

Darla Walden, 304-255-2121 Ext. 4770 email:

When application is determined the VA will send Concord University and Authorization and Certification of Entrance in Rehabilitation and Certification Status.

The Student needs to complete and submit a Veterans Coordinator card log on to: and return to Robin Rutherford, Marsh Hall, A202 – Concord University.

If you have used your GI Bill at another institution and are changing majors or institutions (Chapter 30, 1606, 33 and 1607)

  • Complete form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training 22-1995.
  • Complete the Veterans Coordinator Card at: submit both forms to, Concord University, PO BOX 1000-D-118, Athens, WV 24712-1000.

How to Apply for Reserve or National Guard Tuition Assistance

  • (WV National Guard)
    • Requests needs to be submitted at least 30 days prior to the start of each semester.  Grades need to be submitted after you complete each semester to Kathy Kidd, 1703 Coonskin Drive, Charleston, WV 25311
  • (Army Reserves)
    • Requests need to be submitted 2 to 3 weeks before each semester
    • Paper forms also need to be submitted
    • Grades need to be submitted after each semester

How to Apply for Troops to Teachers

Knowing your Benefits

Post-9/11 GI Bill

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. NOTE: If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before you can receive any benefits. For approved programs, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits.

 The following payments may also be available:

*Monthly housing allowance

*Annual books and supplies stipend

*One-time rural benefit payment


Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available to those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. There are two main programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty. Eligible Service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation. 

You may be an eligible if you have an honorable discharge; AND you have a high school diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit; AND you meet the requirements of one of the categories below:


Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985

Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months

Continuously served for three years or two years, if that is what you first enlisted for or if you entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served four years (the 2 by 4 program)


Entered active duty before January 1, 1977

Served at least one day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88, (or through 6/30/87 if you entered the Selected Reserve within one year of leaving active duty and served four years)

On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam-era GI Bill


Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II

On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91

OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93

OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program

Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1,200


On active duty on 10/9/96 AND you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date AND you elected MGIB by 10/9/97

OR you entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89, AND you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96 - 7/08/97

Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1,200 lump-sum contribution

  • Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments. 

To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after Sept. 30, 1990.

Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).

Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement.

Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB-SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.

Past Events

Melvin Grubb WWII Photo Presentation 10-17-17

September 11th Memorial Ceremony 2017

Concord observes Patriots Day

Concord University Honoring Purple Heart Recipients with Reserved Parking

Concord University Makes National News

The Concord University Student Veterans Association is proud to announce the University’s first ever Purple Heart Recipient parking space. This space will be permanently reserved for veterans who have received a Purple Heart.

Concord University will join a small list of only 50 University’s that offer this type of parking for veterans.

Purple HeartPurple Heart Parking SignPurple Heart Parking Spot 1Purple Heart Parking Spot 2Purple Heart Parking Spot 3

Resources for Veterans & Families

Below are online resources for Veterans.  Please notify us if you have suggestions, corrections, updates, etc.


Phone Number(s)

Veterans Crisis Help Line 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 to confidentially speak with a trained, caring VA responder and get connected to services that can make a difference.
West Virginia Department of Veterans Assistance 304-425-5194 for Princeton office
Financial Aid Guide for Military and Veterans See Link for Contact Information 
The College Guide for Service Members and Veterans See Link for Contact Information 
Student Veterans Advocate

Steven Kennedy was born in Welch, West Virginia on June 24th, 1993. In the fall of 2011, he enlisted in the United States Army as a Signal Support Systems Specialist. He attended Basic Training at Fort Benning, Georgia and was part of Delta Company 2/47th Infantry Regiment. After completing training he was sent overseas to South Korea where he did a year tour with the 55th Military Police Company. Once back in the United States he joined the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and completed his service contract with the 18th Airborne Corps.

After separating from the military, Steven began his college career at Concord University. He worked several jobs before obtaining the Veterans Advocate position. He is grateful for all the help he has received while at Concord. Before leaving, he wishes to give back to his school and help out fellow student veterans. He enjoys fishing, swimming, riding four-wheelers, and playing his guitar.

Steven Kennedy

The Veterans Lounge

Stop by for a coffee, or just relax in between classes.

The Veteran Student Lounge located in the Rahall Building (across from room the Academic Success Center) gives you the opportunity to study at one of our computers, sink into one of our couches, drink a tall cup of coffee, and meet other veteran students here at Concord University. It is equipped with comfortable furniture, computers, CAC reader, television and other amenities. You can also find the Veteran Advocate’s office inside the lounge.

Veterans Lounge 1Veterans Lounge 2Veterans Lounge 3
                                Veterans Lounge 4

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the annual maximum cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Only Veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate, as determined by service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty Service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty Service members may be eligible if the Service member is qualified at the 100 percent rate.

Concord University is proud to be a participant of the Yellow Ribbon program and takes great pride in helping our veterans in any way possible.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Veteran's Upward Bound
Concord Veterans Upward Bound

What do we offer?

Veterans Upward Bound is a program that helps veterans receive basic instruction in pre-college or GED courses to help prepare them for college, technical, or vocational school enrollment, GED exam and career development.  Classes are offered online and in person at various locations in WV and VA. We offer college preparation, college admissions assistance, peer tutoring and mentoring. Academic, career and personal advising are offered, as well as financial aid awareness and referrals to community veterans services. Visits to colleges and universities, as well as special visits to sites such as museums and theaters may be offered as well.

How much does it cost me?

Our services are free except for your time, commitment and a little hard work! The Veterans Upward Bound program is funded by a grant from the United States Department of Education under Title IV.

You may also earn stipends for satisfactory participation and attendance.

Who is eligible?

If you concluded your service in the Armed Forces in good standing; and either you receive a modest income and/or neither of your parents attained a bachelor’s degree; and you have the desire to improve your life through higher education, you are invited to receive the benefits of Veterans Upward Bound.

Contact Us Today!

P.O. Box 1000, Campus Box D-144
Athens, WV 24712
Phone: 304-301-4154
Fax: 304-301-4506
8:00 A.M to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday

Katrina Matney, Interim Director
Kristen Williams, Academic Advisor
Matt Spaur, Program Assistant

Our Staff

Rutherford, Robin
Robin Rutherford
VA School Certifying Official
Williams, George
George Williams
Assistant Professor - Humanities / Veterans Advocate
Concord University Veterans

Stay Connected with Concord University Veterans




Robin Rutherford
Veteran Certifying Official

Dr. George Williams
Veteran Advocate

Proud member of AVECO